VINO. In section 24, Richland Township. Post office, 1873-75 Adair


VALLEY CITY. The name first given 1833 to the present village and railway station of Pleasant Valley. Scott


VALLEY FARM. A post office from 1874 to 1872 in the western part of section 16, Jackson Township. Linn


VALLEY VIEW. A post office (1870-89) in section 2, Union Township. Harrison


VALLEY. The name of the post office from 1851 to 1905 at the town of Paris, which see above. Washington


VAN BUREN. The name first given to the post office established at Warren, now a railroad station in section 36, Harrison Township. This was from January to December, 1849. Lee


VAN BUREN. A hamlet in section 15, Van Buren Township. Post office, 1852~1900. Jackson


VAN BUREN. A town laid out in 1839, now constituting the southern part of the present town of Keosauqua. Van Buren


VAN BUREN (see above) & DES MOINES CITY joined together, making Keosauqua. Van Buren was the name of the post office from 1841 to 1845 when it became Keosauqua. Van Buren


VAN NEST. (See Sedalia) Guthrie


VANDALIA. A village in the southwest portion of section 20, Des Moines Township. It was laid out in 1853 and was prosperous in the 1860's.

Post office, 1857-1903.  Jasper


VANDENBURG. The pioneer name of the present city of De Witt, and the one which it bore only about a year, from May, 1841, until February, 1842. Clinton


VANDERBILT. The name first given the present village of Fairfax when it was laid out in 1863. Linn


VANDYKE. In the northwestern part of Union Township. Post office, 1859-69. Des Moines


VEGA. In the northeast corner of section 35. Round Prairie Township. Post office, 1881-89. ( Formerly in Henry County.) Jefferson


VEGA. A post office (1851-97) shown in the northwestern part of Salem Township on maps of 1856 and 1857, but in the western part of Tippecanoe Township on maps of the 1890's. Henry


VENUS. A post office from 1863 to 1873 near the center of Grand River Township. Madison


VERBECK. Shown on maps of 1887 where the town of Thor now stands. Verbeck was a post office in 1881. Humboldt


VERNON. A village laid out in 1837 as South Bentonsport, but became Vernon in 1852. It was on the south side of the Des Moines River from Bentonsport. A few old buildings still remain. Vernon was the name of their post office from 1852 to 1903. Van Buren


VERNON SPRINGS. An important town in sections 33 and 34, Vernon Springs Township, on the north bank of Turkey River. It was two miles southwest of the present city of Cresco, and was the county seat from 1865 to 1867. Post office, 1861-69. Howard


VERONA. A post office (1870-85) in section 26, Lincoln Township, on the stage line from Victor to Dresden. Poweshiek


VESPER.  (See Tyson's Mills). Webster


VIENNA. A post office (1856-83) in the southwestern part of section 10, Vienna Township. Marshall


VILLAGE CREEK. In section 18, Lafayette Township (see Milton). Post office, 1859-1903. One store still remains. Allamakee


VILLAGE. A post office southeast of Ottumwa on the south side of the Des Moines River from 1847 to 1850.  Wapello


VINCENT. A station on the C., R. I. & P. Ry. in the southern part of Franklin Township, as shown on maps of 1887.  Washington


VINEYARD. A post office (1870-77) in the eastern part of section 29, Carlton Township. Tama


VIOLA CENTER. In section 21, Viola Township. Post office, 1881-1900. Audubon


VIOLA. In Colony Township. Post office, 1852-59. Deleware


VIOLA. In the northeastern part of New Wine Township, as shown on maps of 1857. Dubuque


VIONA. In section 34, Vernon Township. Post office, 1869-75. Humboldt


VIRGINIA GROVE. A post office (1843-71) in the northernm part of Morning Sun Township. Louisa


VIROQUA. The name of the present town of Morley from 1813 to 1886, the post office also having the same name. Jones


VISTA. In section 26, Westburg Township. Post office, 1889-1903. Buchanan


VOLGA CITY. A former name of the present village of Lima. (see Lightville). Fayette


VOLLAMOVA. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Clinton County from 1885-1893, but not found on maps of that period. Clinton


VOLNEY. In section 13, Franklin Township, on Yellow River about a mile below Smithfield. Was devoted to milling business. Laid out in 1856. Post office, 1853-1903. Allamakee


VON. In section 34, Humboldt Township. Post office, 1871-81. Humboldt


VOSS. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide from 1889 to 1903 as a post oflice in Allamakee County, but the name is not found on maps of that period. Allamakee


VOWELLS. The name. by which Farmersville was first shown on the maps. Jasper


VULCAN. A village in the north edge of section 4, Washington Township. It was a coal mining village existing only a few years around 1890.  Keokuk

Page 1 of 1

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

“V” Page 1 of  1

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - V