ALPINE. A post office (1860-72) in section 18, Washington Township.


AMADOR. A hamlet in section B, Adams Township.


AMSTERDAM. This town is reported by William Vandever, deputy U. S. surveyor, in his notes of the survey of 1843, as being in the center of section 14,

Center Township, about two miles northwest of the business section of Ottumwa.


ASHLAND. A town of importance on the stage line, having several stores, an academy, and a few hundred population. It was in the southern part of section 9, Washington Township, about three miles north of the present town of Eldon. Post office, 1844-80.


ASHLAND CROSSING. The name first given the place that later became Williamsburg, and finally the present town of Eldon.


AYERSVILLE. A town reported by William Vandever in his survey notes of 1843 as being in the southeast quarter of section 26, Center Township, making it

appear to have been the town later called Port Richmond.


BEAR CREEK. A station on the C., M. & St. P. Railway about four miles west of Ottumwa. It had a post office by the same name from 1909 to 1914.


BLADENSBURG. A village laid out in 1853 in the southeastern part of section 9 and the northeastern part of section 16, Pleasant Township.

Post office, 1855-1906.


BRYSON. A post office in 1872 at a location on or near that of the present railway station of Cliffland.


BURTON. A station on the Wabash Railway in the western part of Keokuk Township, about eight miles south of Ottumwa, as shown on maps of 1878 and 1880.


CHRISTIANSSBURG. A hamlet in the northern part of section 27, Polk Township. Post office, 1859-72.


COLUMBIA. A post office from 1846 to 1849, the name being changed to Fountain Spring, which see below, in 1849.


COMPETINE. The name of the post office (1851-1903) at the town of Marysville, which see below.


COMSTOCK. The early name of the present Kirkville Station. Comstock was also the name of the post office from 1861 to 1877.


COOPERSVILLE. A post office (l867-75) in the central part of section 36, Polk Township.


CYNTHIANN. A post office from 1850 to 1852 near the central part of Polk Township.


DAHLONEGA. This town in the northwest corner of section 9, Dahlonega Township, five miles northeast of Ottumwa is reported in the notes of the

government surveyors in 1843. It was an important town in an early day, had at one time 300 inhabitants, and aspired to be the county seat.

Post office, 1844-1907.


DEFIANCE. A town reported by William Vandever in his survey notes of 1843 as being at the common corners of section 20, 21, 28 and 29, Richland

Township, which would make the location about two miles northeast of the present Kirkville Station.


DES MOINES CITY. Listed as being a post office in Wapello County from 1851 to 1853, but maps of that period show the place to have been in Mahaska

County about one mile west of the northwest corner of Wapello County. See Mahaska County list of abandoned towns.


FAIRPLAY. A town reported by W. Barrows in his survey notes of 1843 as being in the southeast and southwest quarters of section 5 and the northeast and northwest quarters of seetion 8, Keokuk Township.


FOUNTAIN SPRING. A post office (1849-53) formerly called Columbia, the location being at or near where now stands Kirkville Station.


GODFREY. A post office from 1872 to 1874 in the southern part of Richland Township, at or near the later place called Keb (see below).


GREEN. A post office (1851-59) slightly north of the center of Green Township.


HAPPY HOLLOW. A post office (1870-77) at or near the location where later appeared Shock's Station (see below).


KEB. A place in section 34, Hichland Township having a post office from 1891 to 1905.


LOUISVILLE. The name given Ottumwa when it was laid out in 1844, but which it kept but a brief time.


MARION. A town reported by William Vandever in his survey notes of 1843 as being in the southeast quarter of section 15, and the west half of section 14,

Columbia Township, on the north bank of the Des Moines River.


MARYSVILLE. A village in the southern part of section 15, Competine Township. Its post office was Competine (see above).


MECHANICSBURG. A town reported by W. Vandever in his survey notes of 1843 as being in the south half of section 24 and the north half of section 25,

Columbia Township, on the north bank of the Des Moines River.


MIDLOTHIAN. A town reported by W. Vandever in his survey notes of 1843 as being in the west part of section 15, Columbia Township, on the north side of

the Des Moines Hiver.


MUNTERVILLE. A hamlet and post office (1870-1905) in the western part of section 17, Polk Township.


NANISEE. Listed as a post office in Wapello County in 1854 and 1855, but the loeation not found.


OPPOSITION. A town reported by W. Vendever in his survey notes of 1843 as heing in thc southern part of section 8 and the northern part of section 17,

Columbia Township, on the north side of the Des Moines River.


ORMANVILLE. A once busy town in the northwestern part of section 33, Green Township.   Post office 1809-1903.


PALESTINE. A place near the ccnter of Columhia Township on the north side of the Des Moines River some four miles southeast of Eddyville, as appears

on maps of 1857.


PHILLIPS. The former name of Rutledge, a station on the Milwaukee Railway some three miles north of Ottumwa.


PICKWICK. The name by which South Ottumwa was known during the first several years of its existence.


PLEASANT LANE. A post office in 1854 and 1855 at or near where later was located the village of Bladensburg (see above).


POINT ISABEL. A village in the northwestern part of section 27, Green. Township. Post office, 1851-68.


PORT RICHMOND. A village in the northwestern part of section 27, Grecn Township, about one mile southwest of Pickwick, which see above, and on the

south bank of the Des Moines River.  Post office, 1858-75. Sometimes appears on the maps as Richmond.


RICHMOND.  (See Port Richmond above).


SAC AND FOX AGENCY. The name of the post office from 1844 to 1849 at the place that later became the present town of Agency.


SAILORVILLE. A town reported by W. Vandever in his survey notes of 1843 as being in the south half of section 19 and the northeast quarter of section 30, Richland Township, the location being about one mile north of the present Kirkville Station.


SHOCK'S STATION. A station on the C., B. & Q. Railroad in the southwestern part of section 5, Cass Township on the south bank of the Des Moines River,

two miles southeast of Chillicothe.


SICKLES. A station on the Wabash Railway about three miles south of Ottumwa, as appears on maps of 1887.


TUNIS. A post office about two miles north of Agency from 1897 to 1900.


VILLAGE. A post office southeast of Ottumwa on the south side of the Des Moines River from 1847 to 1850.


WILLARD. A station on the C., M. & St. P. Railway in the southwestern part of Polk Township.   Post office 1890-1906.


WILLIAMSBURG. The name of the village that later (1870) became the present town of Eldon. The name of the post office was Williamsburg from 1868 to 1871.


YAMPA. A place shown on maps of 1900 in the southern part of Pleasant Township. Post office, 1899-1900.

Wapello County was named after a Fox Indian Chief





Established February 17, 1843

Wappello County

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

EZ County Index

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns