...and More!
Iowa Ghost Towns

Welcome to...

BANNER. A post office (1874-75) near the center of section 7, Virginia Township.


BELLEMONT. The name of the post office from 1870 to 1871 at what later was called Schonberg (see below).


BELMONT CENTER. See Schonberg below.


COOL. A hamlet and a post office (1879-1904) on the line between sections 11 and 12 at the cross roads one-fourth mile north of the south line of the sections, Squaw Township. A church and three or four dwellings Remain.


DORRVILLE. A hamlet in the northwest quarter of section 32, Virginia Township. (had post office by same name from 1855 to 1863)


ELLENDALE. A place marked on maps of 1869 as a post office about one mile southeast of the present town of Carlisle.


FELIX. A post office from 1876 to 1883 in the northeastern part of Belmont Township.


FORT PLAIN. The name of the post office from 1854 to 1870 at the town of Green Bush, which see below.


FORT PLAIN. A place shown on maps of 1868, 1869 and 1878 in section 8, White Breast Township.


FRIENDS' GROVE. Listed in thc U. S. Postal records as a post office in Warren County from 1864 to 1865, but the location not found.


GHEEN BUSH. A village in the southeast corner of section 31, Greenfield Township, and in the northeast corner of the west section 6 of Washington Township, or about onc mile northwest of the present town of Spring Hill. The post office of Green Bush ran from 1850 to 1854 when the name was changed to Fort Plain, (see above).


HACKNEY'S GROVE. A post office (1852-53) at or near the later post office of Handsome View (see below).


HAMMONDSBURG. A hamlet on the line between sections 11 and 14, Otter Township, a little west of the midway part of the line, and about two and one-half miles northwest of the present town of Milo. Post office, 1851-79.


HANDSOME VIEW. A post office (1853-59) slightly east of the center of Squaw Township. See Hackney's Grove above.


IRISH GROVE, Another name for Dorrvi1le, which see above.


LATIMER. A post office (1861-64) in the western part of Jackson Township.


LAWRENCEBURG. A village located about midway of the north Jine of section 7, Virginia Township. Post office, 1857-79.


LORETTO. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Warren County in 1889, but the location not Found.


LYNN. A post office (1855-72) in the southwest corner of section 3, Jefferson Township.


MEDFORD. A post office (1890-1903) in the southwestern part of White Oak Township.


MONTPELIER. A post office (1853-60) in the northwestern part of Jefferson Township.


MOTOR. A hamlet at the corners of sections 1, 2, 11 and 12, Belmont Township. Post office, 1890-1902. A church, schoolhouse and a few scattered dwellings remain.


OSWEGO. Listed in the U. S. postal records as a post office in Warren County from 1864 to 1869 (with short interims), but the location not found.


PLANEVILLE. Listed in the U. S. postal records as a post office in Warren County from 1855 to 1859, but the location not found.


PYRA. Listed in the U. S. postal records as a post office in Warren County from 1856 to 1859, but the location not found.


ROSEMOUNT. A village at the corners of sections 34 and 35, Belmont Township, and 2 and 3, White Breast Township. Post office, 1864-80.


SANDYVILLE. Laid out in 1851 in the northeastern part of section 21 and the northwestern of 22, Union Township, five miles east of the present town of Ackworth. A town of importance at one time. Post office, 1855-1903. A few scattered buildings remain.


SCHONBERG. A post office (1871-79) at the northwest corner of section 21, Belmont Township about two miles east of the present town of Milo. It was sometimes called Belmont Center, but was one mile west of the center of that township.


SHARON. A post office (1861-90) on the north line of section 2, Squaw Township.


SUTTON. Listed in the U. S. postal records as a post office in Warren County from 1897 to 1900, but the location not found.


TAUNTON. A post office (1876-83) at or near the later post office of Felix, which see above.


THREE RIVERS. A post office from 1848 to 1854 at or near the location of the present town of Hartford.


TWELVE MILE GROVE. Listed in the U. S. postal records as a post office in Warren County in 1863, but the location not found.


UNION HILL. A place in the southern part of section 9, Union Township, as shown on maps of 1869.


WESTFORD. A place shown on maps from 1856 to 1868 on Middle River at or near the location of the present village of Somerset.


WHITE OAK POINT. A post office (1852-54) in section 19, White Oak Township.


WILMINGTON. A post office in 1855 in section 24, Palmyra Township, some two or three miles northwest of the old village of Palmyra.


WISCONSIN. A post office (1865-66) in the northern, part of section 19, Belmont Township, at or near the location of the present town of Milo.




Warren County was named after Joseph Warren.

He was a General in the Revolutionary War.




Established January 13, 1846

Waren County

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

EZ County Index

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED