AMBOY. A post office (1851-62) in the southwestern part of Oregon Township.


ASTORIA. Laid out as a town in 1837 in section 28, Oregon Township, in anticipation of being the county seat. A post office named Pottsville (which see below) and a store were all it ever attained to.


BETHEL. A post office (1897-1904) on the east side of section 24, Highland Township.


CEDARVILLE. A post office from 1860 to 1864, and later from 1866 to 1868 at or near where later was the town of Lexington, which see below.


CENTER HILL. Listed as a post office in Washington County in 1851 and 1852, but the location not found.


DA1RY. A post office (1863-75) in the western part of section 9, Highland Township.


DAVIS CREEK. A post office (1850-67) near the southwest corner of Iowa Township.


DAYTON. A town laid out in 1854 in the eastern part of section 13, and the western part of the east section 18, Lime Creek Township, about one mile north of the present town of Wellman. A few scattering houses remain.


DAYTONVILLE. The name of the post office from 1875 to 1906, except some intermission, at the town of Dayton, which see above.


DUBLIN. The name of the post office kept at a country store at Dutch Creek, which see below, from 1879 to 1905.


DUTCH CREEK. A post office in the northeastern part of section 22, Dutch Creek Township, from 1845 to 1879, when the name was changed to Dublin, which see above.


EUREKA. Laid out as a town in 1857 in the northwest quarter of section 18, Marion Township, five miles south and one mile west of Washington. It never grew to be more than a hamlet. A few scattering houses remain.


GRACE HILL. A village in the northwestern part of section 31, Franklin Township. Post office, 1889-1904.


HARRISRURG. A town laid out in 1855 in section 14, Highland Township. It proved short-lived.


JUAN. A post office (1844-50) in the northwestern part of Marion Township, about five miles south of Washington.


LAKE. A post office (1860-65) in the northeastern part of Marion Township.


LEXINGTON. A town laid out in 1865 in the southern part of section 8, Cedar Township. Post office, 1868-1905. It still has a church and a few scattering houses.


MARCELLUS. A post office (1850-59) in the western part of Marion Township.


MIDDLEBURG. A post office (1870-82) in the eastern part of section 9, English River Township.


MILLS. Another name, as appears on maps of 1854, of Wassonville, which see below.


NEW HAVEN. A post office (1857-66) in the eastern part of Dutch Creek Township, about one mile east of Dutch Creek (see above).


PARIS. A town laid out in 1846 in the southern part of section 30, Dutch Creek Township. Its post office was Valley. One store, a church and a few scattered dwellings remain.


PILOTBURG. A hamlet in the northeastern part of the east section 33, Lime Creek Township, two miles south and three miles east of the present town of Wellman. Post office, 1891-1903.


POTTSVILLE. The name of the post office from 1839 to 1860 at Astoria, which see above.


SEVENTY SIX CENTER. A post office from 1870 to 1873 near the center of Seventy Six Township.


TITUS. A station on the C., M. & St. P. Ry. in the northwestern part of section 28, Franklin Township, about five miles southwest of Washington. It had a post office from 1910 to 1913.


VALLEY. The name of the post office from 1851 to 1905 at the town of Paris, which see above.


VINCENT. A station on the C., R. I. & P. Ry. in the southern part of Franklin Township, as shown on maps of 1887.


WASSONVILLE. A village laid out in 1848 in the eastern part of section 12 and the western part of the east section 7, Lime Creek Township, about midway as to north and south of the two sections and on the north side of English River. It had a good mill and was an important town on the stage routes and underground railroad. Post office, 1849-75.


WHITE ASH. A post office (]873-85) in section 1 of Highland Township.


YATTON. A town laid out in 1856 in the northeast corner of section 19, Iowa Township, about one mile south of the present town of Riverside. At one time it had a population of about 300. Post office, 1843-75.



If you can add any information for the towns above please CONTACT US!

Washington County

Help support

Iowa Ghost Towns

Non-Tax Deductible

Donation. Thank You!



Washington County was named after George Washington.

The first president of the United States.




Used with permission from the State Historical Society of Iowa

Established January 25, 1839

Iowa Ghost Towns