BRISTOL. A town platted in 1857 in the southern part of section 5 and the northern part of section 8, Bristol Township. It was the first county seat, 1858 to 1863. Post office, 1857 to 1902.
DEER CREEK. A village in section 5, Deer Creek Township. There is still a store and creamery located there. Post office, 1890-1907.
ELK CREEK. Listed as a post office in Worth County from 1890 to 1900, but the location not found.
FERN. A post office from February 18, 1889 to June 28, 1889, at or near the later post office of Polo Station (see below).
FONTANELLE. A town in section 36, Fertile Township, as shown on maps of 1857. This was a town on paper only.
GLADE. A former railroad station and post office, previously called Polo Station, which see below. Glade was the name of the post office from 1900 to 1904.
GLENMARY. Laid out as a town in 1857 in the northeast quarter of section 24, Brookfield Township. Never had but one house.
HARTLAND. A post office which occupied, during its existence, from 1860 to 1875, two or three different locations in the northwestern part of Hartland Township. There is still a Hartland store and creamery in that Township.
HIRONDELLE. A post office (1880-1900) in the eastern part of section 30, Danville Township, about one mile east of the present town of Hanlontown.
LANSRUD. A hamlet and post office (1899-1902) in section 21, Silver Lake Township.
LARK. A post office from 1884 to 1887 and again from 1889 to 1903 in the northern part of section 8, Fertile Township.
NORDLAND. A post office (1879-1901) first in section 8 and later in section 2, Fertile Township.
OAKVALE. A post office, in 1859 near the Minnesota state line, but the exact location not found.
POLO STATION. A former C. & Gt. W. R. R. station in Lincoln Township about four miles northeast of the present town of Manly. Its post office was Polo Station from 1889 to 1900 when it was changed to Glade (see above).
SHELL ROCK. A station on the Iowa Central Railroad at or near the present town of Manly, as appears on maps of 1878.
SILVER LAKE. A post office (1867-1906) first in Silver Lake Township, but later in the northwestern part of Hartland Township.
SOMBER. A post office (1889-1902) in section 1, Bristol Township.
TENOLD. A hamlet and post office (1881-1906) in the southwest corner of section 17 and the southeast corner of section 18, Brookfield Township. A store and a creamery are still there.
WALES. A post office (1869-73) in the central part of Union Township.
WESTFIELD. A post office (1870-71) on the west line of Union Township about midway as to north and south.
Worth County was named after
William J. Worth.
He was a Major General
in the Mexican War.
Established January 15, 1851
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|